No one ever wants to get in an accident but if you ever do, then you should know the best way to approach the situation. It can be a very stressful experience but if you know what to do and you remain calm, you will have a much better experience throughout the process. Use these steps to make sure you take care of everything before you leave the scene.
- Help anyone injured. Before you do anything else, you should make sure that no one is injured as a result of the accident and if anyone is, take some time to help them. If they need medical attention, call 911 immediately.
- Get to a safe place. In some states, it is a requirement that you move driveable vehicles from the road. You should try to move them to an emergency lane. If you cannot move the vehicles, put your hazard lights on to alert other drivers. Do everything you can to make sure that you will not cause another accident in the area.
- Call the police. Even if the other person does not want you to call the police, you should absolutely do this and get a police report for the incident. This can help you later and will assist when you are talking to your insurance company. Even if the other party leaves the scene, call the police to file your report.
- Get information. You should take the time to get all of the information about the other party, their vehicle, and the accident now. This includes geting their name, address, email address, vehicle information, license plate number, driver’s license information, insurance information, and more. If you have a way of taking pictures, you should take a picture of the vehicles, the damage, and even the other person.
- Call your insurance company. You will need to tell them about the accident so you can start the claim. No matter when it happens, you will likely be able to get someone on the phone because many companies have 24/7 call centers. Once you are done with the police and have the report information, you can provide this to your insurance agency for easier filing.
- Work with your insurance company to get your vehicle repaired. Your insurance company will likely give you some options for your repair but also know that you have the option of getting your vehicle repaired at a place of your choosing. Do not wait to get it repaired. As soon as you have the go ahead from your insurance agency, you should get the process started.
Being involved in an accident can be terrifying and stressful but these steps can help you ensure that you get everything done and have an easier process. You do not want to miss a key component and then find out later that it can cost you your claim. If you need a new vehicle after an accident, be sure to stop by our showroom today for a test drive.